What’s New in Maxdorf / 2016
Pharmacotherapy of dyslipemia, 2nd extended issue [12 August 2016]
- First issue of Pharmacotherapy of dyslipemia was not only quite favoured by specialists, it helped to implement new drugs into theraupetic practise. The author, who is a prominent expert in atherosclerosis and disorders of lipid metabolism, Assoc. Prof. Michal Vrablík, M.D., Ph.D., now presents an updated second edition.
Respiratory tract infection and their treatment [12 July 2016]
- A new book written by prof. Kolář gives reader an overview of a range of respiratory tract infections and of diagnostic and treatment possilities, which are frequently neglected in a day-to-day practise.
When erased, where does the word comes to? [30 June 2016]
- A fifth book of short stories written by Michal Vaněček is finally here for your entertainment. As in author’s previous books, the publication is illustrated with humorous cartoons made by Pavel Kantorek. This witty and captivating book is a good choice for upcoming holidays.
Stories of Little Tibet [25 June 2016]
- A year after publication of a book Stories of Little Tibet passed and the english version is already available.
- Thanks to volunteers from NGO Brontosauruses in Himalaya, who departured to Little Tibet on 30 July to help with the construction of a school in the village Mulbek in Ladakh, the book will get to the Amazon store, as well as to locals. The publication is available in hardcover as well as in paperback.
Award of Czech Neurological Society for outstanding monography [20 June 2016]
- We are pleased to announce that the publication of prof. Štětkářová obtained an award of The Czech Neurological Society.
The award of ČGPS ČLS JEP [11 June 2016]
- During the social event of 3rd Joint Conference of Czech Gynecological and Obstetrical Society and Slovak Gynecological and Obstetrical Society in Pupp hotel in Carlsbad, the award for the best monography in gynecology and obstetrics published in 2014-2015 was given to prof. Martan.
- We want to congratulate prof. Martan, too.
Vaginal delivery in the breech position [9 June 2016]
- This practical handbook for obstetricians provides the information about diagnostics, procedures for turning the baby and the correct timing of the birth. The book is full of information, tips and advice for number of scenarios with complications, which can happen during birth in breech position.
Shoulder dystocia [8 June 2016]
- The book written by author's collective under the lead of Petr Křepelka, M.D., from The Institute for the Care of Mother and Child focuses on everyday obstetrician practise, risk factors, prevention, and practical clinical routines for dealing with shoulder dystocia.
Glaucoma, 2nd updated and extended publication [7 June]
- The second publication of avery successful book authored by Assoc. Prof. Eva Růžičková, PhD. offers an information about contemporary diagnostics and therapy of glaucoma.
Thoracic Drainage/ A Step-by-Step Guide [1 June 2016]
- The last novelty from pneumonology is the english translation of a very successfull publication authored by prof. Vašáková. Apart from the conventional printed version, the book is in preparation for all conventional selling platforms, including Amazon.
Handbook guide to ambulatory care of respiratory infections [1 July 2016]
- A new book authored by a team under the lead of one of the most respected specialists in respiratory medicine worldwide is a great practical guide aimed primarily at ambulatory specialists and general practitioners.
Interstitial lung processes, 2nd edition [31 May 2016]
- After the first issue was completely sold out, the authors prepared an extended and updated second edition. The book is a result of a cooporation of three specialists with many years of an experience in the problematics of interstitial lung processes.
Practical lung surgery [31 May 2016]
- In continuity with successful publications „The minimum in a lung surgery – step-by-step guide“ (V. Hytych et al. 2013) and „Lung surgery in instructive case reports“ (V. Hytych, A. Tašková, M. Vašáková et al. 2014), the team of lung surgeons from Thomayer hospital under the lead of Alice Tašková, M.D. and Assoc. Prof. Vladislav Hytych, Ph.D., prepared a new monography Practical lung surgery.
- The book recapitulates the basics of thoracic anatomy, principles of preoperative evaluation, anesthezia in lung surgery, perioperative and after surgery care. The main parts include detailed description of surgeries with a short characteristics and indications. Other information include examinatory procedures, pacient positioning and approach, anesthezia, and complications.
Pharmacotherapy of hypertension [12 May 2016]
- A new book of nestor of czech cardiology, prof. Jiří Widimský and prof. Jiří Widimský Jr., introduces modern procedures in treatment of hypertension in a concise, easily understandable, and well-documented manner.
- Pharmacotherapy of hypertension will be launched on XXIV. Annual Congress of Czech Cardiological Society.
Thoracic ultrasound in clinical practice [18 April 2016]
- A novelty of our publishing house is a book Thoracic ultrasound in clinical practice. We intended to provide information about practical usage of chest ultrasound in day-to-day care of patients with thoracic organ’s diseases.
- The publication will be launched on Hradec Pneumological Days congress, Saturday, 23 april 2016 at 8 p.m.
Technologies in diabetology [14 April 1016]
- We are pleased to introduce a new publication, Technologies in diabetology, during Diabetology days in Luhacovice. The author’s collective has been under the lead of Assoc. Prof. Kateřina Štechová, M.D., Ph.D. from Motol University Hospital.
- The book is an informed and practically-oriented guide for all diabetologists and internists. Apart from the more common instruments such as glucometers and inzuline pumps, the book introduces continuous glucose monitoring, closed-loop inzulin delivery, as well as perspectives of subtitution of pancreas endocrine functionality by technical vs biological (stem cells) approach.
Diabetes mellitus in a nutshell [13 April 2016]
- Diabetes mellitus in a nutshell is a favourite book amongst the readers, a first in the book series Contemporary diabetology. We have brought up a second issue of this successful book.
- The book structure remained the same. It consists of sections covering types of diabetes, risk factors, epidemiology, statistics, diagnostics, strategies of treatment, medicines choice, combination of medicines, diabetes complications, education, etc. All information in the book have been revised and are now up-to-date.
Hills of Tuscany [26 February 2016]
- After a very succesful publication of a novel Hills of Tuscany, a new sequel is coming to a book market. We are meeting painter Candace and writer Ference for a second time, when they have decided to settle down in Tuscany. They could speak basic italian only and had only four weeks to find the house. In spite of circumstances, they have managed to reconstruct a dilapitated monastery and to start world-famous vineculture Máté.
Vineyard of Tuscany [26 February 2016]
- Thanks to a large success, we have decided to reprint Hills of Tuscany. Since Friday, the book is now available for a purchase in a hardback edition.
Neuroendocrine tumors [27 January 2016]
- The unique and very practical monography of a large author collective under the lead of a Head Physician, Eva Sedláčková, M.D., MBA (VFN Praha) and Head Physician Viera Bajčiová, M.D., Ph.D. (FN Brno) is informing oncologists and other physicians about up-to-date diagnostics and therapy of neuroendocrine tumors.
Practical medical dictionary, 11th issue [25 January 2016]
- The Practical medical dictionary became an essential and indispensable source of information about health and diseases in Czech Republic in last 20 years. The novelty of this issue is the possibility to pick one’s favourite publication either in hardcover or paperback.
Uveitides in case studies [19 January 2015]
- The publication of a team of authors from Department of Ophthalmology, First School of Medicine, Charles University, under the lead of Assoc. Prof. Petra Svozílková, M.D., Ph.D., offers to readers exact and easily understandable instructions for diagnosis and treatment of uveitides.
Atlas of thyroid ultrasonography [15 December 2015]
- Long-awaited publication for endocrinologists and radiologists is now available. The compilation of ultrasonographic pictures of thyroid is suited for day-to-day use and studying for attestations alike.
Modern pharmacotherapy in neurology [29 November 2015]
- Our prominent neurologist, Assoc. Prof. Ivana Štětkářová, M.D., Ph.D., cooperated with more than 20 top neurologists and other specialists from branches of medicine close to neurology. The book is weighting towards practical approach. Each nosological unit contains specific instructions addressing the beginning of the treatment, continuation according to the patient’s response and modification of the treatment under specific circumstances. As a result, the book is particularly beneficial, with a potential to change custom practise in czech neurology.
Great medical dictionary, 10th edition [27 November 2015]
- We are happy the next issue of The Large Medical Dictionary, which is very popular among students and physicians, is already available for purchase. Vocabulary items cover all branches of medicine from anatomy and physiology to frequent and serious diseases of individual organs (which makes up the main core of the dictionary) and psycho-sexual deviations. Several thousands of drugs and simmilar amount of abbreviations which frequently worsen the understanding of medical documentation is also specified.
Pre-eclampsia [24 November 2015]
A new publication on gynaecology is being published today. The practically-oriented book from group of foremost czech obstetricians from several university-affiliated workplaces is covering most up-to-date information and recommendations for diagnosis and treatment of a condition which is a „nightmare” of physicians and patients alike.
Pharmacotherapy of tromboembolic conditions [20 November 2015]
- The third isssue of a very successful publication coming from two prominent experts on angiology and cardiology is covering information on medication of tromboembolic conditions including detailed introduction into new drugs available on market.
- The publication will be launched on Monday 23 November 2015 at congress of Czech Society of Internal Medicine of Czech Medical Association of J.E. Purkyně in Congress Centre.
Controversies in diabetology [4 November 2015]
A new book has been added to the edition Contemporary Diabetology today. In this 18th publication, Prof. Jindřiška Perušičová, M.D., DrSc. tackles controversial topics in diabetology, a field of medicine which is rapidly changing nowadays.
- The whole edition of Contemporary Diabetology and other diabetological publications are available for perusal on Friday, 6 November, at the Congress of Ambulant diabetology.
Great medical dictionary, 10th edition [15 October 2015]
- We are looking forward to the new publishing of the Great medical dictionary (Velký lékařský slovník) in November. The cover was already presented at the billboard in Kateřinská street.
Awards of the Presidium of CMA JEP for best scientific publication in 2014 [14 October 2014]
- In 13 October 2015, Presidium of Czech Medical Association of J.E. Purkyně awarded Best scientific publications for 2014 in a ceremony which has taken place at the Senate of the Parliament of the Czech republic. Books from our publishing house have obtained the first and the second place.
- 1. place – Modern pharmacotherapy in gynecology and obstetrics (Moderní farmakoterapie v gynekologii a porodnictví) of a team of authors under the lead of Assoc. Prof. Tomáš Fait, M.D., Ph.D., Assoc. Prof. Michal Zikán, M.D., Ph.D., and Assoc. Prof. Jaromír Mašata, M.D., Ph.D.
- 2. place – Emergencies in psychiatry (Naléhavé stavy v psychiatrii) – Prof. Hana Papežová, M.D., Ph.D and col. [Photo Maxdorf]
Award of Czech Endocrinological Society [30 September 2015]
- The publication of Prof. Václav Hána, M.D., Ph.D - Endocrinology for practise (Endokrinologie pro praxi) was awarded as the best book of 2014 by Endocrinological Society.
Transplant donors and sepsis [23 September 2015]
- We are happy to introduce two new publications at the tommorow’s Congress of Czech Society of Anesteziology, Resuscitation and Intensive Care at Pilsen, where we are going to have a propagation stand. We are looking forward to see you there.
Diabetes Mellitus and the Respiratory System [7 September 2015]
- The successful edition Contemporary diabetology is being expanded with a new, 17th in a row issue. This time, Prof. Jindřiška Perušičová, M.D., DrSc. focused on lung diseases and their risks for diabetic patients.
Psoriasis [20 August 2015]
- The long awaited publication of Prof. Vladimír Vašků, M.D., Ph.D, is being published this week. The small publication format is delivering practical instructions to physicians – dermatologists and general practitioners alike. It is a practical guide for diagnostics, classification and current treatment of this serious and unfortunately relatively frequent illness. Prof. Vašků, one of our most experienced and acclaimed dermatologists is the head of the Dermatological Clinic of Faculty of Medicine at the MU and FN Brno. The book is the 69th issue of the series Pharmacotherapy in Practise.
Towards a big adventure with Dodo [23 July 2015]
- Long car advanture travels are an inherent part of vacations. Thats why, in an effort to shorten the trip, foundation T-Soft Eternity prepared another continuation of a story about Dodo. Once again, the story narrated by Jiří Lábus will guide John, Mary and their friend Dodo through a series of fairy tales, and they will even set to Mauritius together.
Turner syndrome, 4th edition [24 June 2015]
- The fourth edition of the successful publication Turner syndrome (Turnerův syndrom) is being published today. The book is primarily aimed both at family members of inflicted girls and physicians not coming into a frequent contact with the syndrome.
Immune trombocytopenia [2 June 2015]
- The author of Immune trombocytopenia (Imunitní trombocytopenie), Prof. Tomáš Kozák, M.D., Ph.D, MBA, focused primarily on the introduction of various types of trombocytopenia, advances in medical treatment and on possibilities of pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapy. The book is available from tommorrow in our e-shop.
ARDS [27 May 2015]
- Congress of Czech Society of Intensive Care Medicine took place in Hradec Králove from 27 to 29 May and we had the honour to launch our new publication ARDS there. The main author is Jan Máca, M.D, while the expert supervision was quaranteed by Prof. Pavel Ševčík, M.D., Prof. Karel Cvachovec, M.D., Ph.D, MBA, and Ivan Herold, M.D., Ph.D. The book is aimed for physicians and medical personnel taking care of critically ill patients. [Photo Maxdorf]
Headaches in the clinical practise [17 May 2015]
- The book of our prominent neurologist, Rudolf Kotas, M.D, is being published in this week. It covers the progress of medicine in recognition and treatment of different types of headache.
Human needs in advanced age [15 May 2015]
- The book of a renown geriatrist Hugo Přibyl, M.D. has been published in several last days. „To live into an old age ceased to be a privilege of a handful of fortunate, octogenarians, even nonagenarians aren’t a rarity anymore. The age structure of a czech population is rapidly changing, the fast and pronounced aging is to be expected...“
Screening of colorectal carconoma, 2nd extended issue [24 - 25 April 2015]
- The successul and necessary book, Screening of colorectal carcinoma (Screening kolorektálního karcinomu), has been published for a second time. The main author is Assoc. Prof. Bohumil Seifert, M.D., Ph.D., president of the Institut of General Practice at the First Medical Faculty of Charles University in Prague and the Scientific Secretary of the Society of General Practice. Co-authors are Norbert Král, M.D, Ondřej Májek, Ph.D., and Štěpán Suchánek, M.D., Ph.D. The publication was reviewed by Assoc. Prof. Svatopluk Býma, M.D., Ph.D, the head of the Society of General Practice and of the Department of Social Medicine, Charles University in Hradec Kralove and by Assoc. Prof. Ladislav Dušek, newly appointed director of the Institute of Health Information and Statistics.
Prof. Martan's book is available on Amazon [14 May 2015]
- The english issue of the book authored by Prof. Alois Martan, M.D., Ph.D., New Surgical Techniques and Medical Treatment in Urogynecology (Nové operační postupy v urogynekologii) is officially registered on the global portal Amazon.com. The book is available in the paperback as well as an e-book, downloable in a version for tablets (Apple and Android). At this time, the registration is valid for Amazon.com, but the european version is underway.
Diabetes mellitus and the gastrointestinal tract [7 April 2015]
- The successful book series Contemporary Diabetology has been expanded with a 16th publication Diabetes mellitus and the gastrointestinal tract (Diabetes mellitus a gastrointestinální trakt). In this book, Prof. Jindřiška Perušičová, M.D., Ph.D., encompasses not only important facts, but also an up-to-date information gathered from the beginning of the year 2015. In several days, the book will be available in local bookstores and at the propagation stand of Maxdorf Publishing at 51th Diabetological days in Luhačovice.
Alphabet of Diabetes has been published for a 4th time [18 March 2015]
- We have presented this new, updated and largely extended issue in the eve of the conference Paediatric Diabetology 2015, which will take place at the hotel Clarion, Prague from 20 to 21 March 2015. This time, main authors are Prof. Jan Lebl, M.D., Ph.D., Assoc. Prof. Štěpánka Průchová, M.D. and Assoc. Prof. Zdeněk Šumník, Ph.D.
Book Award: Outpatient Surgery of Varicose Veins won the Linhart Prize [19 Feb 2015]
- The 40th Anniversary Congress of the Czech Angiological Society started today in Prague. Outpatient Surgery of Varicose Veins (Ambulantní operace křečových žil), one of successful handbooks published in Maxdorf in 2014, has been awarded prestigeous Linhart Book Prize for the 2. place of the competition for best monograph. The author, Karel Novotný, M.D., a renown cardiovascular surgeon (Teaching Hospital Motol, 2nd Medical Faculty, Prague) is well known for having introduced several novel surgical techniques in the Czech Republic. [Photo Maxdorf]
Book Launch: Textbook on Sexually Transmitted Diseases [14 Feb 2015]
- Book launch of a new textbook Principles of Modern Venereology (Základy moderní venerologie) was held on Saturday 14 Feb 2015 at the National Conference of the Infectionist Section of the Czech Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology (CSOG) at the Conference Centre Prague. The authors – Assoc. Prof. Jozef Záhumenský, M.D., Ph.D., David Jilich, M.D., Ph.D. and Daniela Vaňousová, M.D., Ph.D. asked the President of CSGO, Assoc. Prof. Jaroslav Feyereisl, Ph.D., to "baptize" the book.
- Small-formate paperback of 180 pages covers all fields of modern venereology – genital warts, genital herpes, HPV infection, chlamydial and mycoplasmatic infections, scabies, pediculosis pubis, HIV, HBV, HCV, inguinal granumoma and many others – in addition to the classical veneric diseases, gonorrhoea and syphilis. Closing chapters are dedicated to sexual violence against women and STD in lesbians. [Photo Maxdorf]
Medical Dictionary for Nurses [26 Jan 2015]
- There are several dictionaries on the Czech book market published by Maxdorf. The "family" of our medical dictionaries now has increased again with Medical Dictionary for Nurses (Výkladový slovník pro zdravotní sestry) authored by Eva Kašáková, Martin Vokurka and Jan Hugo. The dictionary was published under the patronage of Czech National Nurses Association.
- The photo our billboard at Kateřinská street, Prague 2 within the medical faculty campus area
Prague Onco Book Launch: Long Life to Ostomy Patients [21 Jan 2015]
- On 21st - 23th of January 2015 the 6th Prague Interdisciplinary Oncology Colloquium PragueONCO 2015 took place at Clarion Congress Hotel Prague. Based on the invitation of assoc. prof. Petra Tesařová, M.D., Ph.D., leading Czech oncologist, a launch of a new book on ostomy was held at patients’ section. The book titled Long Life to Ostomy Patients (Ať žijí stomici) was presented jointely by legendary Czech mime artist Boris Hybner (whose photo is on the front cover of the book) and a well-known Prague surgeon professor Pavel Pafko, M.D., Ph.D.
- Professor Pafko, in his very impressive speech, remembered his first ileostomy surgery some 50 years ago, and emphasized the great improvement in the quality of life of ostomy patients since then.
- The Foundation T-Soft Eternity (Head: Ing. Michal Vaněček) is the partner of the book and sponsored it financially enabling it thus to be published.
Practical Endocrinology [14 Jan 2015]
- Leading Czech endocrinologist Václav Hána is the author of a handbook titled Practical Endocrinology (Endokrinologie pro praxi). Concise and extremely well structured book offers the readers – first of all endocrinologists, diabetologists and internists – precisely the amount of knowledge needed for successful clinical practice. While pathophysiology is kept to a minimum needed to understand the context, diagnostics and treatment are written in detail, almost in a "cookbook" style. For more than 30 years professor Václav Hána, M.D., Ph.D., has been a member of the staff of the 3rd Department of Internal Medicine, 1st Medical Faculty, Charles University, Prague, one of the leading endocrinology centres in the Central Europe.
Psychiatric Emergencies [10 Jan 2015]
- Maxdorf Publishing presents the long-awaited handbook Psychiatric Emergencies (Naléhavé stavy v psychiatrii) authored by a leading Czech psychiatrist Prof. Hana Papežová, M.D., Ph.D. who invited a large number of co-authors, experts in single subjects of psychiatry. The book written first of all for psychiatrist will be useful for physicians of other specialties and for general practitioners, too.
Poetry and Paintings Book by Famous Czech Neurologist [8 Jan 2015]
- Each year Maxdorf publishes three or four non-medical books among 40 to 50 books on broad spectrum of medical and biomedical subjects. On January 8 2015 - with X-mass atmosphere still being felt almost tangibly – a very nice book of poetry and paintings by Ivana Štětkářová was launched.
- The book launch took place in the baroque inn U Kaštanu historically related to the nearby Břevnov Monastery. The book was launched by well known Czech actor Marian Roden, who read several poems from the book. The event was attended by people from both Prague medical and artistic communities.
- Assoc. prof. Ivana Štětkářová, Ph.D., head of the Neurology department of the 3rd Medical Faculty Charles Univ. Prague, is an internationally renowned expert on EMG and spasticity, recently she authored a successful textbook Spasticity and its Treatment (Spasticita a její léčba) (Maxdorf 2013) [Photo Aleš Dvořák]
We are happy the next issue of The Large Medical Dictionary, which is very popular among students and physicians, is already available for purchase. Vocabulary items cover all branches of medicine from anatomy and physiology to frequent and serious diseases of individual organs (which makes up the main core of the dictionary) to psycho-sexual deviations. Several thousands of drugs and simmilar amount of abbreviations which frequently worsen the understanding of medical documentation is also specified.